In 1948, the Woman’s Club of Louisville and the Kiwanis Club of Louisville collaborated to sponsor the creation of the Louisville Deaf Oral School. The nonprofit school was the first of its kind in the state of Kentucky and aimed to serve children with hearing, speech, language, and processing problems. The Louisville Deaf Oral School was built on a small and humble foundation—in the beginning, three students gathering each Saturday morning in the Woman’s Club of Louisville’s basement room to learn from volunteer teachers. Our founding teachers, Barbara Daugherty, Alice Clark, and Ruth Browning, instructed their students using an auditory approach. By the close of the first school year at Louisville Deaf Oral School Foundation, enrollment had grown to 11 students. Today, we are proud to serve as a resource for more than 150 students each year.
In 2001, the Louisville Deaf Oral School officially expanded into a larger organization with an even larger scope and mission in the community. Then in 2008, the name of the school was changed to Heuser Hearing Institute, which comprises several nonprofit branches of service including: